The best team in the city (world?), with a stellar company culture
Yep, those too, we even pay well!
Early and Winter night shifts!
- Do you have at least 5 years of management experience (ops. /production manager, etc.) in our industry?
- Do people genuinely enjoy working with you?
- Interested in working in a challenging environment, with a well managed, fast growing company?
If so, this position could be for you!
Garden City Groundskeeping Services Ltd. is a leader in the landscape maintenance and snow removal market in Mississauga, Brampton, and Etobicoke. We specialize in large condominium and commercial properties.
What we do isn’t really what matters. Why do we do it? We have a strong focus on building a team with a great culture; we have a lot of fun, and enjoy working hard as a team in a fast growing company. We all take great pride in the work that we do, and work to reach our goals together. You’ve never worked for a trades business like this before.
Should you accept the challenge?
You will be positioned to take charge of our operations, and leading our teams to produce their work successfully. You will lead and support your crews through training, setting schedules, and removing obstacles, so they can work as efficiently as possible. You will report directly to the owner.
You will build long lasting relationships with property managers and condo board members, and ensure they continually have an exceptional experience with GCG.
Your time will be spent planning and scheduling, training and coaching, communicating with the shop & office managers, performing service calls, and being willing, and ready, to jump in the field to help a crew when needed (plowing/sanding, etc).
We’re a driven management team who work very hard, and value a flexible and rewarding lifestyle. Expect to work hard, but be supported and accommodated by the rest of the team as well. Vacations are well earned, and the owner will happily step in to take over the reigns when you need a break. You’ll hold weekly goal setting and review meetings with the owner to share concerns, ideas, and successes.
- Above all your main duty is to work for our crews. Our crew leaders are experienced, trustworthy, and we are looking for a strong leader for them. If you tend to lose your temper, and be a boss rather than a leader, this is not the job for you. Praise their good work, and look for opportunities to help them reach their goals both at work and personally. Be a coach.
- Responsible for the daily and weekly scheduling of our crews and jobs, long term planning collaborated with the owner.
- Availability and attention to communications from clients and staff is required, we support the need to disconnect, and this responsibility can be transferred to another manager when needed.
- This is a semi-flexible role – you will find yourself replying to texts from home before work, coming to the shop to get crews going, working from your truck or coffee shop sending emails, and working on next week's schedule from home. Time management is an important skill for this role.
- Looking for and preparing estimates for extra work on our sites, providing recommendations to clients. Estimating guides provided.
- Working in the worst weather conditions Mother Nature can throw at us, with a smile. You are the backup for the crews under you, if they need help in the field, or someone is sick, you will fill in or figure out how to re-jig the crews in high-pressure situations.
- You will be up early morning 5am, and be ready to make big decisions that have significant effect on daily productivity and profitability, such as whether to bring your crews in on a questionable snow or rain day, or how to proceed when staff are sick or equipment is down.
- A genuine, trustworthy person that will contribute to our work environment in a positive way. Ask yourself: “Have I had quite a few issues working with others in the past? Would I say it was the other parties fault each time?” If yes, please do not apply.
- Comfortable with long hours, and unpredictable schedules.
- Problem solving, time management, and being a highly organized individual is huge for this role.
- Driven to grow and learn within the industry, and our company. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management role within the landscape and snow removal industry.
- On call for work 7 days/ wk in winter, availability all year for monitoring communications (can be shifted to other managers)
- An early morning person: you normally wake up before 5:30am, not just for work.
- Average tech skills, able to competently operate a computer/tablet/phone. - Training on our industry specific software will be provided.
- Ability to remain calm in high stress situations. Step back and plan a way through.
- G Class driver’s license with a clean driving record.
Compensation and Benefits
- Health benefits after 3 mos.
- Competitive Base Salary
- Bonus structure and profit sharing possibilities in the future (at least 1 year in)
- Opportunities for further earnings by finding, quoting, and selling extra jobs to your clients. (eg. Mulch jobs, annual flower installations, dead tree removals, pruning)
- Company cell phone and tablet
- Company truck
- Development opportunities – great internal training, and outside training courses and certifications offered and paid by GCG.
- A great, supportive team. You’ll be given the tools you need to succeed at this position, and supported by other experienced management.